Historical Buildings in Messolonghi
- Trikoupi House: Built near the lagoon and could be the oldest building in the city. This is where Greek statesman, diplomat, author and orator Spiridon Trikoupis was born and raised. His son Charilaos Trikoupis became Prime Minister seven times in the late 1800s.
- Palamas House: Famous scholar and teacher Panagiotis Palamas was born here in 1722. His son, the famous poet Kostis Palamas who wrote the Olympic Hymn also lived here.
- Byron House: Belonging to the Kapsali family, the mansion is home to the Messolonghi Byron Society dedicated to Lord Byron's life and poetry. The celebrated English poet and Philhellene came to the city to support the Greek revolutionary cause and died in Messolonghi in 1824.
- Valvi House: Home of politician Zafeirio-Zenovio Valvis, featuring his notable collection of books. The building has become a public library. Valvis served as twice as Prime Minister of Greece in the mid 1800s.
- Trikoupio Cultural Centre: The old railway station was renovated and redesigned for hosting cultural events, as well as film screenings.
Historic sites of Messolonghi city
- Wall of Messolonghi: As you arrive to the city you'll be impressed by the wall and gate of Messolonghi. The wall was built by King Otto in 1838 over the remains of an older one from the city's historic Third Siege in 1825-1826 against the Ottoman Empire.
- Garden of Heroes: Dedicated to all the heroes and politicians in the Greek War of Independence against Ottoman Occupation in the early 19th century. A statue of British poet Lord Byron and a monument dedicated to Greek independence general Markos Botsaris grace the garden.
- The Windmill: Built in 1962 where the historic one stood during the Third Siege of the city, commemorating the sacrifice of the revered bishop Iosif Rogon who lit the last remaining gunfire in the windmill during the siege.
- Dolma Monument: Built on the small island of Dolma whose inhabitants supported the besieged in Messolonghi during the Third Siege. It marks the great sacrifice that the island's citizens undertook during the battle of Dolma in 1826.
Notable churches and monasteries
- Small churches around the lagoon: Agia Triada in Kleisova, Agios Sostis on the island by the same name near the Vasiladi lighthouse and the Virgin of Prokopanistos built on a small island in the middle of the lagoon.
- Monastery of Agios Symeon in Arakinthos: The most famous in the region, known as the meeting point for those who successfully escaped during the Exodus of Messolonghi. Local summer and winter festivals are held here.
- Panagia tis Finikas: On the salt marshes of Etoliko, this church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and lies on an islet between Messolonghi and Etoliko.
- Church of Taxiarchs: In addition to an intricate iconostatis from the 18th century, this church in Etoliko is home to the tomb of Kyra Vasiliki, the influencial Greek wife of Ali Pasha, powerful Ottoman ruler from Epirus.
- Agios Nikolaos Kremastos Monastery: Dating from the 10 century AD, the 'Hanging Monastery of Saint Nicholas' in Arakinthos lies within two caves in a cliff and features amazing religious paintings in Cappadocian style.
- Episkopi Mastrou: Paying tribute to Agios Ioannis (St. John) of Rigana, this impressive Byzantine temple from the 14th century AD was built over another paleo-Christian Basilica. It was undoubtedly an important church.